If you find that the amount you need to pay for your rent has changed, there are a few steps you can take to ensure a smooth transition. Here's what you should do:

  1. Notify your local authority's housing benefit team:
    • If you receive housing benefit, it's important to inform your local authority's housing benefit team about the new rent and service charge. This can be done by reporting the changes as soon as possible.
    • Remember, your Housing Benefit Team can only backdate your claim for one month, so it's crucial to act promptly.
  2. Inform Universal Credit:
    • If you receive Universal Credit, you'll need to report any changes in your rent and service charge through your online Universal Credit account.
    • Promptly reporting the changes is essential, as your claim can only be backdated by one month.
  3. Adjusting your payment method:
    • Direct Debit: If you pay your rent through a direct debit arrangement, there's no need to worry. We will handle the adjustments necessary to accommodate any increase or decrease in your rent and service charge.
    • Standing Order: However, if you pay your rent via standing order, you'll need to take action. Contact your bank to amend your standing order to reflect the new rent amount.

Remember, it's important to take immediate action to inform the relevant authorities about changes in your rent. This will help ensure that your housing benefit or Universal Credit is adjusted accordingly, avoiding any unnecessary complications.